Contract #717 Community Support Worker
UNION JOB POSTING # 717
|Position Title:||Community Support Worker||Vacancies:||1|
|Workgroup:||Longer Term Services||Posting Date:||November 13 – November 20, 2023|
|Status:||Full-time Contract||Start & End Date:||Immediate – November 30, 2024|
|Hours:||35-hours per week||Salary Range:||$27.36 – $34.20 an hour|
About CMHA Niagara
CMHA, Niagara is a non-profit, charitable organization committed to promoting mental wellness and to improving the lives of people in its service area who have mental illness as well as their families. CMHA Niagara achieves its mission through a number of programs and services.
CMHA, Niagara is committed to a recovery philosophy which focuses on the potential for people with mental illness to lead full, productive and engaged lives in their communities. The Branch works in partnership with many others who share in the commitment to supporting the broad determinants of health.
The Community Support Worker provides counselling guidance and defined support to individuals with a mental illness and/or other disabilities (e.g. concurrent, dual diagnosis) living in the community. The intent is to ensure client safety, to encourage empowerment and crisis resolution while maintaining a calm and respectful environment for all.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides necessary support and guidance to service users; enables service users to maintain independent community living.
- Assists service users to become familiar with and comfortable using community services.
- Promotes service users to develop individualized goals and develop support plans necessary to achieve their goals.
- Supports service users with development of coping mechanisms for distress situations, symptom management, coping strategies, and anger management and monitors effectiveness and helps to arrange support services in the event that assistance becomes necessary.
- Acts as an advocate on behalf of service users with landlords and other tenants, with doctors and hospital workers, with social assistance workers, with the Public Trustee with police and other human service/community agencies and by participation on inter-agency committees.
- Acts as a resource to other service providers with education, advocacy and consultations.
- Actively monitors, records and reports on progress being made by service users.
Essential Job Requirements
- Successful completion of a university undergraduate degree program in the human service field or accredited community college diploma in the Social Service Worker program
- 2 -3 years of employment experience in the mental health field
- Relevant registration with a regulated body is highly preferred
- Minimum Level 1 Behavioural Competencies (Canada’s Substance Abuse Workforce) for all Support and Outreach positions
- Certified in the following safety courses: Crisis Intervention (e.g. Safety Care), First Aid and CPR, Suicide Prevention (ASIST), Mental Health First Aid, and Concurrent Disorder Support
- Strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills
- Verifiable computer and technological proficiency, including the use of Microsoft Office applications
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or verification that you are unable to be vaccinated
- Must have access to a reliable personal vehicle
- Current valid class ‘G’ driver’s license
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
- Bilingualism would be an asset
CMHA Niagara is a culturally competent organization and is committed to building an inclusive community that respects the dignity and independence of candidates with multicultural and diverse backgrounds, multilingual abilities, and experience with the 2S&LGBTQQIA+ community. Candidates with this background would be considered an asset.
CMHA Niagara is committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. Please see the AODA section of our website at, www.cmhaniagara.ca for further details or contact our Human Resources department for any information in an alternate format.
How to ApplyIf you are interested in applying for this position, it is your responsibility to ensure your application is received by Human Resources no later than 4:00 p.m. on November 20, 2023. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org When emailing, please insert #717 Community Support Worker and your full name into the subject line.
235 total views, 2 today