Casual Emergency Bed Program Support Worker
Emergency Bed Program Support Worker
Position Type: Relief
Position Number: One
Reports To: Business Operations Manager
Wage: $22.13 per hour
Purpose: To participate in the operation of the housing focused Emergency Bed Program and to provide support to homeless clients including assessment of needs and referrals to services in community, in accordance with the values and vision, and goals and objectives of The Hope Centre.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with new clients to program to complete full intake package, ensuring guests understand and sign off on rules and regulations of program; ensure all supporting documents including HIFIS registration form are completed.
- Enter client information in to HIFIS within 24 hours of intake; upon discharge, update HIFIS.
- Ensure client is on Niagara Regional Housing waitlist. If not, complete and submit NRH application within one week of arrival. Submit Homeless Status form.
- Arrange transportation for new guests to shelter, when needed.
- Arrange food for new guests with Food Security Coordinator; communicating any special diet considerations required; deliver food daily.
- Maintaining inventory of hygiene kits; restocking as needed which would include purchasing needed items and assembling kits.
- Communicate and enforce rules of the program with clients on on-going basis.
- Work with clients to secure a source of income
- Assist clients with housing search by providing housing listings weekly; coach clients on how to contact and interact with landlords; assist with acquiring relevant documentation and arrange transportation to housing appointments.
- Meet with each guest daily to review housing plan and assist with other needs.
- Assess client’s needs for services to support their transition to housing.
- Connect guests with needed supports in the community.
- Work with hotel staff on a regular basis to ensure any issues regarding our guests are taken care of in a timely manner and to the satisfaction of hotel staff.
- Document and input information into client files on a regular basis, manually and in computer data bases to ensure accurate service statistics and client records.
- Discuss situations with clients that could result in eviction from EBP with Business Operations Manager, who will make determination of next steps.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures of The Hope Centre are followed.
- Maintain appropriate and accurate record keeping practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of post secondary education in related field of study
- Experience working in a shelter as asset
- Experience providing support and action planning to women, men and families who are homeless and living in poverty.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Must work well under pressure
- Must be flexible and able to multi-task
- Must be solution-focused and organized in achieving objectives with all service users
- First Aid training, including basic CPR.*
- Working knowledge of mental and physical illnesses, and addictions, including experience with harm-reduction approaches.
- Knowledge of Welland/Niagara community, and awareness of local social services
- Experience working with women and men from diverse racial, cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Possess strong skills in Crisis intervention*, dispute resolution, negotiation
- Ability to analyze issues, identify opportunities, anticipate potential problems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the work environment
- Ability to function in a team setting.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent active listening skills
- Above average reporting skills – accurate, timely, thorough
- Ability to plan and prioritise work, and remain adaptable/ flexible.
- Strong computer knowledge with proven ability to learn new systems
- Must be bondable
- Valid automobile driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle and additional coverage to transport clients (additional cost of coverage to be paid by employer)
*Training provided by employer as needed.
How to ApplyPlease submit your cover letter and resume to SHill@thehopecentre.net
636 total views, 2 today