Seasonal Summer Day Camp Group Counsellor
Summer Day Camp Group Counsellor
|Location||YMCA Camp at sites in St. Catharines, Grimsby, Welland, Port Colborne and Niagara Falls
|Employment Type||Seasonal Contract – 35 to 40 hours per week. Hours of work are primarily Monday to Friday daytime, with some evenings and weekends required for training.
|Placement Date||July 3 – September 1, 2023 plus 40 hours of paid pre-camp training in June
Why Work for the YMCA?
As a charitable organization, the YMCA of Niagara aspires to be a great workplace, committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values – caring, health, honesty, inclusiveness, respect, and responsibility – the YMCA provides our employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through growth opportunities and great benefits, and the knowledge that their day-to-day actions have a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of the people of Niagara.
NATURE & SCOPE
Counsellors are responsible for the safety, supervision, and care of a group of children. They
will lead a variety of camp activities for the children in their group throughout the camp day, and ensure they have an amazing camp experience. Group Counsellors are enthusiastic, caring, and committed.
- Consistent effective communication with parents and other team members to ensure a successful camp experience for everyone involved.
- Facilitate and participate in fun, active, and engaging programming.
- Role model positive behaviour for campers.
- Participate in active games, sports, water games, and other activities.
- Be energetic and flexible.
- Providing a fun, safe and supportive environment for campers.
- Embrace diversity and inclusion of all individuals.
- Ensure YMCA Camp program outcomes and quality targets are achieved.
- Demonstrate empathy and caring towards campers, staff, peers, and parents.
- All Counsellors will share group counsellor, floater, cleaning, and break counsellor responsibilities.
- Follow Covid-19 protocols and procedures to support a safe environment for participants and staff
- Other duties as required.
- Experience working or volunteering with children or youth
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older
- Values driven individuals who make excellent role models for children and youth
- Experience working in day or residential camp is an asset
- Energy, enthusiasm and flexibility
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C
- Current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) issued for the YMCA of Niagara
- The ability to participate in ongoing physical activity and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions
- Participate in training and adhere to the YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures as established by the YMCA of Niagara
This position may be supported by funding from Canada Summer Jobs and to be eligible for the grant positions, candidates must be 16-30 years of age.
Concern for Health and Safety
Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
Creativity and Innovation
Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Child and Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
DAY CAMP OVERVIEW
Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Most camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and a variety of camps we offer, please visit our website ymcadaycamp.ca. Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and training including training on YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures
How to ApplyAPPLICATION PROCESS All applicants are invited to apply online by visiting http://ymcaniagara.campbrainstaff.com/ Internal applicants are encouraged to notify their supervisor before applying. All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted by email. Please note that interviews may take place virtually. Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request. For more information on other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit: ymcaofniagara.org
356 total views, 1 today