Seasonal Summer Day Camp Program Specialist
SUMMER DAY CAMP PROGRAM SPECIALIST
Location: YMCA Day Camp at sites in St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls
Employment Type: Seasonal Contract – 42.5 to 44 hours per week. Hours of work are primarily Monday to Friday daytime, with some evenings and weekends required for training
Placement Date: Mid-June – September 1, 2023 inclusive of 40 hours of paid training
WHY WORK FOR THE YMCA?
As a charitable organization, the YMCA of Niagara aspired to be a great workplace, committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values – caring, health, honesty, inclusiveness, respect and responsibility – they YMCA provides our employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through growth opportunities and great benefits, and the knowledge that their day-to-day actions have a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of the people of Niagara.
NATURE & SCOPE
Program Specialists play a vital role ensuring program quality and delivery for the Nature Quest camps. They will support Counsellors in leading the program which focuses on outdoor and environmental education. The Program Specialist will also be responsible for delivering programming themselves at various points in the day. Program Specialists are responsible for ensuring all campers have a positive camp experience and supporting the camps on site as necessary.
- Skilled in leading a variety of outdoor camp activities (archery, orienteering, environmental education, fort building, etc.)
- Oversee the implementation of the Nature Quest program, environmental and outdoor education program.
- Lead engaging and hands-on programming
- Provide input into staff meetings
- Oversee the development and execution of programs, activities, and the schedule
- Assist the Site Supervisor with the day-to-day operations of camp
- Assist with training and preparation for the camp season
- Assist with staff meetings for counsellors.
- Address parental concerns and ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
- Maintains high standards in program delivery, communication, coaching and mentoring of all staff
- Regular contact with staff, camp participants, parents, community agencies, and volunteers involved in the program
- Further support staff in the planning, supervision, and leading of activities
- Follow Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (CPI) guidelines (when certified)
- Follow Covid-19 protocols and procedures to support a safe environment for participants and staff
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two summer seasons of experience working with children or youth in a Day Camp and/or Residential Camp setting or equivalent.
- Enrollment or participation in post-secondary education in a related field (outdoor recreation, education, etc.)
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
- Energy, enthusiasm, and flexibility
- Experience planning and leading programs
- The ability to participate in physical activity, and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions
- Experience with outdoor education/recreation an asset
- Current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) issued for the YMCA of Niagara
- Standard First Aid and CPR- C
- Participate in training and adhere to the YMCA Child Protection Policy and Procedures
This position may be supported by funding from Canada Summer Jobs and to be eligible for this grant position, the successful applicant must be between the ages of 18 to 30 years of age.
Child and Youth Focused
- Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Concern for Health and Safety
- Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
Creativity and Innovation
- Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
- Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
DAY CAMP OVERVIEW
- Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Most camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and a variety of camps we offer, please visit our website ymcadaycamp.ca. Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and training including training on YMCA Child Protections Policies and Procedures
How to ApplyAPPLICATION PROCESS All applicants are invited to apply online by visiting http://ymcaniagara.campbrainstaff.com/ Internal applicants are encouraged to notify their supervisor before applying. All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted by email. Please note that interviews may take place virtually. Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request. For more information on other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit: ymcaofniagara.org
481 total views, 1 today