Seasonal Summer Day Camp Regional Supervisor
Summer Day Camp Regional Supervisor
Location: YMCA Day Camp at sites in St. Catharines, Grimsby, Welland, Port Colborne and Niagara Falls
Employment Type: Seasonal Contract – 42.5 to 44 hours per week. Hours of work are primarily Monday to Friday daytime, with some evenings and weekends required for training events
Placement Date: Part Time April, Full Time May to September inclusive of training
WHY WORK FOR THE YMCA
As a charitable organization, the YMCA of Niagara aspired to be a great workplace, committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values – caring, health, honesty, inclusiveness, respect and responsibility – they YMCA provides our employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through growth opportunities and great benefits, and the knowledge that their day-to-day actions have a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of the people of Niagara.
NATURE & SCOPE
YMCA Day Camp is seeking Regional Supervisors for summer 2023. Regional Supervisors oversee camps in a designated city or geographical region and will provide oversight in one of the following aspects of camp: camp promotion and family engagement, staff recruitment and hiring, staff training, or program planning.
- Be an active member of the Day Camp senior leadership team that supervises approximately 150 seasonal team members.
- Oversee multiple camp sites located throughout the Niagara Region or a specific aspect of camp.
- Act as a team leader to direct, support, and assist other team members in the delivery of excellent customer service.
- Build quality relationships with camp partners and YMCA camp staff.
- Provide leadership in building a productive happy team that provides participants with quality programming opportunities.
- Supervise and coach team members to ensure that YMCA Day Camp objectives are being met.
- Assist Site Supervisors with problem solving at their campsites as well as with the hiring, training and coaching of camp staff.
- Assist with program development and promotion of camps. Work with the Camp Leadership team to act on poor staff performance and implement performance reviews.
- Assess conflict situations and exercise good judgment in recommending solutions.
- Respond to and handle parent concerns and questions in a timely manner.
- Model excellent customer service and leadership behaviors.
- Ensure Ontario Camping Association Standards are followed at the camp sites.
- Greet, welcome and serve members, volunteers, participants, and parents with prompt courteous service.
- Support and work as part of a staff/volunteer team by remaining flexible (willing to learn new skills, alter shifts)
- Provide leadership as situations occur and lead investigations as necessary.
- Maintain strong communication with camp parents, staff and volunteers in person, by phone and via email.
- Act as a liaison between the Day Camp team and other YMCA departments.
- Respond to first aid and emergency situations as required.
- Ensure that program areas are kept safe, clean and organized.
- Check for potential health and safety hazards at all times when on duty and complete incident reports when necessary.
- Follow CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention guidelines (when certified).
- Follow Covid-19 protocols and procedures to support a safe environment for participants and staff.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in recreation and leisure, child and youth studies, education or related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a camp Site Supervisor or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years’ experience supervising a team of staff or volunteers
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (Crisis Prevention Institute) Training is an asset, training will be provided.
- Knowledge of Ontario Camping Association standards is an asset.
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- The ability to provide leadership, encouragement and coaching for teams of staff.
- Energy, enthusiasm and flexibility
- Class G driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C
- Current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) issued for the YMCA of Niagara
- The ability to participate in ongoing physical activity and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions.
This position is supported by funding from Canada Summer Jobs and to be eligible for this grant position, candidates must be 18-30 years.
Child and Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Concern for Health and Safety
Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
Creativity and Innovation
Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Relationship Building and Collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Planning and Organizing
Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Identifies and issue and works towards a solution.
Coaching and Development
Commits to assisting participants, volunteers, staff and self in continuous learning and development.
DAY CAMP OVERVIEW
Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Most camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and a variety of camps we offer, please visit our website ymcadaycamp.ca. Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and training including training on YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures
How to ApplyAPPLICATION PROCESS All applicants are invited to apply online by visiting http://ymcaniagara.campbrainstaff.com/ Internal applicants are encouraged to notify their supervisor before applying. All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted by email. Please note that interviews may take place virtually. Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request. For more information on other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit: ymcaofniagara.org
591 total views, 1 today