Seasonal Summer Day Camp Waterfront Specialist
SUMMER DAY CAMP WATERFRONT SPECIALIST
Location: YMCA Day Camp at sites in Welland and Niagara Falls
Employment Type: Seasonal Contract – 25-40 hours per week. Hours of work are primarily Monday to Friday daytime, with some evenings and weekends required for pre-camp training
Placement Date: Mid-June to September 1, 2023 inclusive of 40 hours of paid training
WHY WORK FOR THE YMCA?
As a charitable organization, the YMCA of Niagara aspires to be a great workplace, committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. Guided by our shared values – caring, health, honesty, inclusiveness, respect, and responsibility – the YMCA provides our employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through growth opportunities and great benefits, and the knowledge that their day-to-day actions have a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of the people of Niagara.
NATURE & SCOPE
YMCA Day Camps are looking to hire two Waterfront Specialists. Waterfront Specialists are required to hold their National Lifeguard certification and have canoeing experience.
- Lead waterfront activities/games
- Assists site supervisors and program specialists to ensure safety measures are met
- Maintains high standards of safety and risk management in program delivery
- Provide clear communication with staff and campers participating in waterfront activities
- Assists with waterfront training to all waterfront staff
- Participates in training and adheres to the YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures as established by the YMCA of Niagara
- Maintenance of the equipment (canoes, paddles, lifejackets, first aid, lifeguard tubes, etc.)
- Further supports staff in the planning, supervision, and leading of activities when needed
- Follow Covid-19 protocols and procedures to support a safe environment for participants and staff
- Other duties as assigned
- NLS certification is required
- NLS Waterfront training is an asset
- ORCA certification is an asset
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
- Energy, enthusiasm, and flexibility
- Experience planning and leading waterfront activities/games
- Previous YMCA camping, aquatics or child and youth program experience is preferred
- The ability to participate in physical activity, and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions
- Current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) issued for the YMCA of Niagara
- Valid driver’s license and daily access to reliable transportation
- Standard First Aid and CPR- C
Child and Youth Focused
- Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
Concern for Health and Safety
- Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
Creativity and Innovation
- Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
- Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
DAY CAMP OVERVIEW
- Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Most camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and a variety of camps we offer, please visit our website ymcadaycamp.ca. Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and training including training on YMCA Child Protections Policies and Procedures.
How to ApplyAPPLICATION PROCESS All applicants are invited to apply online by visiting http://ymcaniagara.campbrainstaff.com/ Internal applicants are encouraged to notify their supervisor before applying. All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted by email. Please note that interviews may take place virtually. Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request. For more information on other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit: ymcaofniagara.org
343 total views, 1 today